Chief Investment Officer (Asset Management) – Johannesburg, South Africa
· To support the incumbent Head of Asset Management in building successful foundations of a premier asset management business in Africa.
· To participate in the management of an African (ex-South Africa) portfolio. To make the necessary portfolio decisions based on market knowledge, thorough research and company visits.
· Interact with the stock broking community to obtain maximum benefit in terms of research and trading.
· Support, assist and complement the company’s existing portfolio management team to provide the group’s broader asset management division with a view to making recommendations as to whether to acquire, dispose of or merely hold investments, based on the empirical and other evidence you have obtained in the course of your research.
· Deliver consistent out-performance for the various funds and client mandates in line with defined benchmarks.
· Daily oversight and control of portfolios to ensure proper implementation of investment decisions and compliance with mandates and regulations.
· Establish standardized investment content for new business proposals and presentations and be involved with key business presentations.
· Ensure investment philosophies, and policies are established, implemented and adhered to (set up and chair appropriate meetings).
· Lead the investment team, including the Pan Africa and Regional teams, with responsibilities for:
o Clear and agreed key performance indicators (KPIs) for the team
o Development and growth of all investment staff
o Regular intra-month contact with decentralized staff.
· Develop risk management and fund management analysis tools including assessing current applications and seeking alternatives as applicable.
· General market awareness.
· Ensure integrity and accuracy of financial models and a consistent high standard of timely research.
· Monthly detailed reviews of portfolios and investment strategy per country, undertaken with staff in country.
· Production of detailed quarterly reviews including basic attribution analysis of past performance.
· Providing input and leading detailed quarterly investment strategy formulation meetings in conjunction with the staff from each country, ensuring the recording of decisions taken and rapid implementation thereof, and communicating to clients where required.
· To comply with Company policies, regulations and rules.
· Improving levels of service to staff and customers and enhancing internal operational efficiencies.
· Suitable and adequate documentation of all work performed.
· Ad-hoc projects as may be required from you by management from time to time.
· No less than 15 years working experience with 8 years spent in a similar role or a similar organization.
· Qualification requirements: tertiary degree, CFA or other investment related qualification/s.
· Exposure to international markets important, the ideal candidate will be a South African with UK Asset Management experience.
This job is now closed. You can apply for other jobs by uploading your CV.